Today is Monday, January 25, 2021. The days are getting longer. The chilly mornings are brighter.
An inspirational quote by William Arthur Ward, “A warm smile is the universal language of kindness.”
The Joy of January. This is a symbolic month to launch the new year to lay the foundation for a brighter future.
Create a plan to continue learning and experiencing new things throughout the year. You might start a list of books to read, practice playing an instrument or speaking a foreign language, or find new music to listen to, recipes to try, walking paths to explore, dance moves to master, games to play, vocabulary words to learn, skills to develop, etc. Regardless of outside events, personal growth can feel so good.
Photo by David Clode
Use this Mindfulness Activity to calm your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Now, after a deep belly breath, breathe out with a gentle mouth generating a deep vibration saying, “aah”…
- Take another deep belly breath and breathe out humming “mmm” with a deep vibration.
- Finally, take another deep belly breath and let out all the air in your lungs with a releasing sigh.
- Shimmy your shoulders and shake out your arms releasing all tension. Smile.
Recharge yourself and spread love when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am doing what I can. I am aware of myself and others, and I belong to a global community. I love myself and others because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness and compassion to all people. We are all connected. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP