Today is Friday, January 1, 2021. It’s a new year. Wishing everyone a Happy & Healthy New Year full of love, inspiration, great meaning and joy.
An inspirational quote by Roy T. Bennett. “Be the reason someone smiles. Be the reason someone feels loved and believes in the goodness in people.”
The Joy of January. This is a symbolic month to launch a new year to lay the foundation for a brighter future.
Consider setting aspirations for the new year. Here are 20 examples to start with, “In this New Year, I aspire…
- To start each day with a smile to myself.
- To express love and positive energy towards others.
- To spread joy in the world by sending messages of appreciation when I think of it.
- To incorporate moments to walk or stretch when I sit for long periods of time.
- To learn what affects my sleep by observing and keeping a journal.
- To learn of additional ways to communicate with others and stay connected- ie. a new language, new method, different medium.
- To listen to music that I love on most days.
- To explore new recipes that are health promoting.
- To make new friends or reconnect with past friends.
- To write.
- To learn a new language of a country I hope to visit in the future.
- To explore a new hobby.
- To share my art/music with others.
- To read books that inspire me or add to my life.
- To include activities that make me physically stronger.
- To collect inspiring quotes.
- To mentor someone.
- To contribute to a worthy cause.
- To capture recharging activities in a journal when I walk/create/draw/build/dance/explore.
- To immerse myself in nature whenever I have an opportunity.”
Photo by: Clement Fusil (top) & Sean Paul Kinnear (bottom) &
Use this Mindfulness Activity to activate your vagus nerve and calm your body and mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Breathe in Energy & Blossom.
- Take a deep breath in, feeling your lungs expand.
- When you breath out, smile and say out loud, “Aaaaah.” Feel the vibrations in your body.
- Repeat 2 times and notice those vibrations are different when you are smiling.
Recharge yourself and spread love when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am doing what I can. I am aware of myself and others, and I belong to a global community. I love myself and others because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness and compassion to all people. We are all connected. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP