Today is Saturday, December 31, 2022. In March of 2020, we began this part of the journey together. We’ve made mistakes, laughed and learned. We keep appreciating, adapting and moving forward.
A quote by Dalai Lama, “Compassion is the wish to see others free from suffering.”
Photo by Fiona Smallwood
Today, with the closing of another year, marks an opportunity for change, for fresh starts and to launch new beginnings. Reflecting back, being present, and thinking forward.
The Daily Gift of Vitality is also changing. We started together on a journey to create a safe space in March of 2020. Today, marks the final Daily Gift of Vitality in this format. For now, we will shift to once weekly posts to this website. Over the next several weeks we will be looking forward to how we can adapt the Daily Gift of Vitality for the current times. In the meantime, you may access previous content on the website, DailyGiftOfVitality.com
Reflecting back, here is a snippet from March of 2020…
“While there is uncertainty and fear around us right now, there is also love and kindness around us, always.
During times of uncertainty, it helps to have some structured routines. We offer a daily anchoring message for those of you who may find it helpful for you, your coworkers, your loved ones, and/or your community.”
We anchored messages to our purpose:
- To provide a single simple message to everyone everywhere allowing individuals to learn and practice simple self-regulating actions daily for optimal health, function & recovery.
- To provide a reliable daily anchor- keeping it simple, easy to learn and remember – and quick to apply.
- To provide a routine. Each message will maintain a standardized, dependable structure to allow it to be used as a “routine” to start a day, transition from work to home mindset or after reading/watching news/social media, or to end the day.
- To create safe space to rest and recharge. The messaging is meant to be a “safe” space and deliberately avoids using terms that may be triggering and common in current communications.
- To establish an easy-to-implement way to keep people connected & cared for despite being physically in different spaces.
As we move forward, we will consider what next. Meanwhile…
Practice this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind whenever you need a moment to reset – while waiting, before, after, or to transition between activities.
Throughout, we begin this activity the same, with the same first 2 steps to signal to the body and mind that we are pausing to get centered and recharge. Over time, we have explored and practiced various ways to use this signal to further maximize the benefits. Today, we bring back a simple way settle your mind, like early on, “Here’s what you can do today, right now.”
Establishing a regular practice of pausing makes it easier to reset when you need it the most. You can start your practice at any time, even now.
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
Settle your mind.
- Imagine a box with a lid. It can be colorful or plain. It can be large or small or any size you want. Put that box on the side.
- Take those feelings that don’t serve you right now and place them in the box.
- Now, place all the thoughts about things you don’t have control over, and place them in the box also.
- You can come back to the box any time to add or examine what you have in there, but you don’t need to carry it with you. You can leave it for a bit. It will be safe there.
Recharge yourself, tap into your strength and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I can do this. I am always learning. I have successfully handled difficult challenges in the past. As I connect to my inner self, I am open to the Happiness and positive energy around me. I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your day. Wishing All a Happy & Healthy New Year full of Love, Joy and Laughter.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP