Today is Monday, January 18, 2021. Today is a day that many remember the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. One of his beliefs was that all progress is worthwhile even if it feels slow.
An inspirational quote by Martin Luther King Jr. “If you can’t fly, then run. It you can’t run, then walk. If you can’t walk, then crawl. But whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.”
The Joy of January. This is a symbolic month to launch a new year to lay the foundation for a brighter future.
Consider taking time to put yourself at the “top of the list”. Our “To Do” lists are often filled with work obligations or caring for others, find some moments to meet your needs and wishes.
- Prepare your favorite meal
- Go to bed early
- Sleep in
- Take a nap
- Do an in-home spa treatment
- Catch up with a friend
- Read a great book
- Take up a new hobby you have always wanted to try
- Pause for body check-in breaks
- Go for a walk
Photo by Tim Swaan
Use this Mindfulness Activity to calm your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Now, wrap your arms around yourself into a warm embrace.
- Close your eyes and tighten your embrace.
- Take 3 deep belly breaths and release into your supportive embrace with each exhalation.
- Release and smile.
Recharge yourself and spread love when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am doing what I can. I am aware of myself and others, and I belong to a global community. I love myself and others because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness and compassion to all people. We are all connected. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP