Today is Friday, February 5, 2021. Being present. Gazing across the pond. Seeing a few brown leaves hanging from the branches. A robust squirrel scurried by.
An inspirational quote by Martin Luther King Jr. “Intelligence plus character, that is the true goal of education.”
February Feelings. While this month can – at times – feel cold in places where it is winter, inside, we can be glowing with warmth.
Human beings naturally learn and seeing progress is satisfying. Anytime today or this weekend, identify one thing you want to learn more about or learn to do better this month. You may already have started your learning plan. The list of options is extensive: history, cooking, kitting, coding, drawing, playing an instrument, dancing, working out, meditation, happiness, writing, organizing, cleaning, nutrition, etc.
Choose one thing and make dates with yourself to spend some time advancing your learning. To enjoy your progress, mark it someplace where you can see it. It could be hash marks for each time you spend some time on it, it could be logging it in a journal or crossing it off on the calendar, or you could add a bead or stone to a jar and see it filling up over time.
Photo by Charles Folscher
Use this Mindfulness Activity to calm your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Roll your shoulders back and lace your fingers behind you-like you are holding your own hands behind you. Let your chest puff out and take a deep breath in.
- As you breathe out, bring your chin down gently and feel the release in the back of the neck and shoulders. Take another long breath in and out.
- Release your hands, bring your head back to neutral, and smile.
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am doing what I can. I am open to myself and others, and I belong to a global community. I appreciate myself and others because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. We are all connected. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP