Today is Friday, October 29, 2021. Aware of the present temperature and accepting that it is changing.
A quote From James Baldwin, “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”
Photo by Susan Chubinskaya, PhD, Sunrise in Arabian Desert.
This October, the focus is on the integration of life experiences, staying equally connected to optimism, as to any other belief or attitude.
Optimism can be defined as cheerfulness or hopefulness about the future. Allowing time for optimism creates balance.
As the future is unknown, consider “If…,Then…” thoughts to be better prepared for the challenges.
- “If [something is not as I wanted/planned/expected], Then I will [what you can do to make the most of the situation].”
- “If [X] doesn’t happen, Then I will seek to learn what I need for it to be possible next time.”
- “If I miss my exercise time in the morning, Then I will add 5 minutes of deliberate extra activity right before the last meal of the day.”
- “If I feel stressed, Then I will belly breathe and journal for 5 minutes.”
Use this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Experience your inner glow.
- Sit or stand comfortably. Laying down is fine too.
- Focus on a central place on your body that feels like your core right now. It may be your chest, your belly or your pelvis.
- Imagine a healing glowing light beginning centrally and spreading from that core to the rest of your body.
- Imagine that glow clearing and healing all the parts of your body as it radiates out.
- Smile to yourself and know that you can share that glow every time you smile at another.
*Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am open to the positive energy around me. As I connect to my courage, strength, and wisdom, I am open to new ideas and change. I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP