Today is Wednesday, September 22, 2021. In the northern hemisphere, today is the first day of Autumn. Autumn is a time to balance the warmth of summer with the cooling days of autumn.
A quote from Ruth Ahmed. “There is something so special in the early leaves drifting from the trees-as if we are all to be allowed a chance to peel, to refresh, to start again.”
Photo by: Mahnoor Shams
For many, September highlights the transitions of seasons and focus. During transitions, anchoring to the positive can support keeping the focus on progress.
Consider these journal prompts:
- Today, … went well.
- The good choices I made today are…
- Today, I enjoyed…
- Today, I got to…
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am open to the positive energy around me. As I connect to my courage, strength, and wisdom, I am open to new ideas and change. I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
Use this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Choose an anchor for the day or week. Choose something that reminds you of your values, a happy time, a courageous time. Use this object to energize you when you need it.
- A photo you keep on your desk or wallet.
- A piece of jewelry or clothing.
- A small souvenir from a trip.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP