Today is Friday, September 24, 2021. Deliberately paying attention to looking up and outwards, recognizing there is so much to see.
A quote from Sydney J. Harris. “Happiness is a direction, not a place.”
Photo by: Freestocks
For many, September highlights the transitions of seasons and focus. Transitions are opportunities to restart or establish new habits that can be a strong anchor moving forward.
Identify anchoring habits that you’d like to integrate. For example:
- Engage in a centering routine on waking: smile to yourself as you repeat a positive statement (like the Recharge* one below) or your personal mission statement.
- Practice routine self-reflections: “How am I doing? How is my energy? What’s influencing my energy? What can I do that will help?”
- Prior to ending the workday or project, make a summary statement including what you accomplished and what are the next steps, so it is easy to get started again.
- Cut up and prepare easy-to-grab vegetables for the next day.
- Keep your water bottle nearby and stay hydrated by drinking water throughout the day.
- Close out the day by moving your body in a way that releases tension.
*Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am open to the positive energy around me. As I connect to my courage, strength, and wisdom, I am open to new ideas and change. I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
Use this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Choose an anchor for the day or week. Choose something that reminds you of your values, a happy time, a courageous time. Use this object to energize you when you need it.
- A photo you keep on your desk or wallet.
- A piece of jewelry or clothing.
- A small souvenir from a trip.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP