Today is Monday, September 20, 2021. Driving to work and noticing the familiar landmarks.
A quote from Debby Ryan. “Have an anchor so that life doesn’t toss you around.”
Photo by: Todd Craven
For many, September highlights the transitions of seasons and focus. When we approach transitions with curiosity, we have more options to find strength and joy. During transitions, anchoring to a routine reminds us of the stability we desire. They can also allow novelty.
Some ideas to adjust old routines or create new ones:
- Continue to take a family walk (or ride) but maybe at a new time or route.
- Instead of a tea and coffee date with friends, enjoy a game night.
- Continue gathering for meals with loved ones; if you can no longer do dinner perhaps breakfast works better.
- If evening was your wind down time and you can no longer do this, utilize the morning to energize and focus.
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am open to the positive energy around me. As I connect to my courage, strength, and wisdom, I am open to new ideas and change. I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.
Use this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Choose an anchor for the day or week. Choose something that reminds you of your values, a happy time, a courageous time. Use this object to energize you when you need it.
- A photo you keep on your desk or wallet.
- A piece of jewelry or clothing.
- A small souvenir from a trip.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP