Today is Friday, July 1, 2022. Recognizing the sound of the cardinal singing cheerfully and finding the red bird in the branches.
A quote by Andre Pough Sr., “Just when you think you know exactly how it’s going, some unexpected possibility shows up and it begins to get even better.’
Photo by Jen DeVos
July is for sharing. The act of sharing offers many health benefits. When we give to others it has a positive effect on our brain. Sharing allows us to connect more meaningfully and strengthens social connections. For some, the first week of July is a holiday celebrated with friends and family. For the beginning of July let’s explore ways to share our culture.
- Consider researching your family tree
- Reach out to a family “elder” to share their memories of the family or family history
- Host/attend a family reunion
- Take a trip to where your grandparents were born
Practice this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind whenever you need a moment to reset – while waiting, before, after, or to transition between activities:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Thinking of your physical body as your home, where you reside, think of deep breathing as like opening the windows on a bright sunny day with a nice breeze.
- Become aware of how every breath that fills your body is like having wide open windows, filling your home with fresh, clean air and every breath out clears out and releases so that your home is a refreshed space for you to be in.
- Experience the happy moment of being in your clean, refreshed home.
- Smile, knowing that you can take moments to open and be present in this space, anywhere you are. Your body is your home.
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I can do this. As I connect to my inner self, I am open to the Happiness and positive energy around me. I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP