Today is Wednesday, June 29, 2022. The trees grow lush with sunshine, rain and all the in-betweens.
A quote by Hal Borland, “If you would know strength and patience, welcome the company of trees.”
Photo by Sa Oku
Finding Joy in June. Launching the second half of the year, we focus on ways we can find and create joy.
The middle of the week is a great time to try a day of “Appreciation Awareness” to create moments of shared joy out of appreciation. For one day, with every encounter with someone, pause, reflect and genuinely appreciate something and share it with that person.
- “I appreciate having a moment to talk to you.”
- “I appreciate your sharing with me.”
- “Your art is inspiring.”
- “I appreciate this sunny day.”
- “At least we get to work together on this.”
- “I appreciate how you have taken care of …”
- “This class is fun!” “The [theatrical/musical] performance is moving.:
- “I am glad we have each other. We are stronger together.”
Practice this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind whenever you need a moment to reset – while waiting, before, after, or to transition between activities:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Thinking of your physical body as your home, where you reside, think of deep breathing as like opening the windows on a bright sunny day with a nice breeze.
- Become aware of how every breath that fills your body is like having wide open windows, filling your home with fresh, clean air and every breath out clears out and releases so that your home is a refreshed space for you to be in.
- Experience the happy moment of being in your clean, refreshed home.
- Smile, knowing that you can take moments to open and be present in this space, anywhere you are. Your body is your home.
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I can do this. As I connect to my inner self, I am open to the Happiness and positive energy around me. I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP