Today is Monday, June 27, 2022. Making efforts to find the path forward.
A quote by Alexander Graham Bell, “Concentrate all your thoughts upon the work in hand. The sun’s rays do not burn until brought to a focus.”
Photo by Nicole Siparsky, MD, Sunset of Lake Michigan 2022
Finding Joy in June. Launching the second half of the year, we focus on ways we can find and create joy.
There are times when the pleasant feelings and emotions seem overwhelmed by events, circumstances and unpleasant feelings and emotions. In those times, try these 3 steps to move forward.
- Create a moment of solitude- without other people’s inputs and start, reread or add to your gratitude journal. You may even begin with the Mindfulness Activity below.
- Consider what a more joyful future will look like. Tap into that future vision and joy and really see and feel it.
- Think of the one small thing you can do to move you towards that more joyful future and do it. You may center yourself with the Recharge statement below.
Repeat these steps as often as you need it.
Practice this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind whenever you need a moment to reset – while waiting, before, after, or to transition between activities:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Thinking of your physical body as your home, where you reside, think of deep breathing as like opening the windows on a bright sunny day with a nice breeze.
- Become aware of how every breath that fills your body is like having wide open windows, filling your home with fresh, clean air and every breath out clears out and releases so that your home is a refreshed space for you to be in.
- Experience the happy moment of being in your clean, refreshed home.
- Smile, knowing that you can take moments to open and be present in this space, anywhere you are. Your body is your home.
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I can do this. As I connect to my inner self, I am open to the Happiness and positive energy around me. I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP