Today is Monday, August 9, 2021. Smiling at the beauty all around us.
This August we will focus on building and strengthening connections. Making connections can lower stress and contribute to longevity. This second week of August we will explore connecting to JOY. Even in the most difficult situations we can turn to joy.
This week let’s explore letting go of what is not serving us and welcome joy into our life. Practicing Self-Compassion can help us connect with JOY. Below are three steps towards self-compassion.
- Acknowledge when you are suffering.
- Connect to humanity—Remind yourself that you are not alone.
- Talk kindly to yourself.
Photo by Nadine Doerle
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am open to the positive energy around me. I appreciate myself and others as I connect with love and kindness. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
A quote from Carlos Santana, “If you carry joy in your heart, you can heal any moment”
Use this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Start your day with one positive thought, end your day reflecting on what went well for you today.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP