Today is Friday, August 20, 2021. Noticing the sunrise which brings me to the present. Smiling to start the day with peace and presence.
This August, we focus on building and strengthening connections to lower stress and contribute to longevity. For this third week of August, we focus on connecting to LOVE, after all, “Love is all around us”
Today, the focus is on connecting to the love of beauty. Deliberately directing your eyes, your attention, your mind to beauty can be calming and joyful.
- Pause to see the beauty of the sky. Immerse yourself in your favorite colors during sunrise or sunset.
- Gaze at the flowers, trees or plants that are beautiful to you as you deepen each breath.
- Listen to the beautiful combinations of sounds of your favorite music and sing or hum along.
- Enjoy the beautiful aromas of your favorite fragrance or spices as you release your shoulders.
- Look in the mirror and appreciate the beauty of your sparkly eyes as you smile.
Photo by Dan Deziel, “Morning Mist”
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am open to the positive energy around me. I appreciate myself and others as I connect with love and kindness. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
A quote from Bennett Cerf “The person who can bring the spirit of laughter into a room is indeed blessed.”
Use this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- While you continue to Belly breath, practice a Loving Kindness meditation and repeat:
- “May I be happy.”
- “May I be healthy.”
- “May I live with ease.”
- “And may these be true for other too.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP