Today is Friday, July 30, 2021. Starting the weekend with a reset; taking time to create moments to pause and appreciate my surroundings.
July marks the start of the second half of the year and a time to remember you can add sparkle to your days. This week, we focus on opportunities to add sparkle to our self-care routine. Add sparkle from the inside by being mindful with the food and drink choices to nourish and honor your body.
- Start the day with a glass of water to begin rehydrating after sleep.
- Aim to include greens such as lettuces, spinach, kale, chard, etc. at one or more meals in a day to provide your body with useful nutrients that also feeds your gut microbiome.
- Eat adequate protein to support your body’s ability to recover and recharge every day.
- Connect with someone over a meal or tea/coffee break to share stories.
Photo by: Susanna Chubinskaya, PhD
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am open to the positive energy around me. I appreciate myself and others as I connect with love and kindness. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
A quote by John Lennon, “A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.”
Use this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- While sitting outside choose an object to focus on: what colors do you see, what sounds do you hear, what do you smell. Smile with appreciation for all the splendors.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP