Today is Friday, February 12, 2021. Today is Abraham Lincoln’s birthday, the 16th president of the United States- remembered for his Empathy and Compassion for others.
An inspirational quote by Abraham Lincoln. “I don’t like that man. I must get to know him better.”
February Feelings. While this month can – at times – feel cold in places where it is winter, inside, we can be glowing with compassion.
Another component of Compassion is allowing yourself to receive compassion from others. Allow yourself to let others’ love and compassion lift you and support you during difficult times. Compassion can help you recharge and continue to move forward. Reflect on times you have received compassion; how did you feel?
Photo by: Susan Chubinskaya
Use this Mindfulness Activity to calm your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Try a “R.A.I.N.” practice to help clarify emotions:
- R—Recognize that you are experiencing feelings
- A—Allow the feelings to be there
- I—Investigate how these feelings are being manifested in your body
- N—Non-judgmental—our feelings are not right or wrong, it is simply where we are at right now.
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am doing what I can. I am open to myself and others, and I belong to a global community. I appreciate myself and others because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. We are all connected. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP