Today is Monday, February 1, 2021. Worldwide, the shortest month of the year has a special day to appreciate and celebrate love. Sitting by the fire, reflecting on the regenerative effects of love and connection.
An inspirational quote by Jane Goodall, “Empathy is really important. Only when our clever brain and our human heart work together in harmony can we achieve our full potential.”
February Feelings. While this month can – at times – feel cold in places where it is winter, inside, we can be glowing with warmth.
Take a moment to recall a time that you felt appreciated and cherished. Consider what contributed to allowing you to feel that way. Think about someone you appreciate and cherish. Reach out and connect with a note, find creative ways to spend time together or share a treasured recipe, book, music, workout, etc.
Photo by Ergyn Meshekran
Use this Mindfulness Activity to calm your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Roll your shoulders back and lace your fingers behind you-like you are holding your own hands behind you, let your chest puff out and take a deep breath in.
- As you breathe out, bring your chin down gently and feel the release in the back of the neck and shoulders. Take another long breath in and out.
- Release your hands, bring your head back to neutral, and smile.
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am doing what I can. I am open to myself and others, and I belong to a global community. I appreciate myself and others because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. We are all connected. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP