Today is Wednesday, January 13, 2021. The beautiful red Garnet is the birthstone for the month of January. It represents balance.
An inspirational quote by Booker T Washington “If you want to lift yourself up, lift someone else up”
The Joy of January. This is a symbolic month to launch a new year to lay the foundation for a brighter future.
Take some time for random acts of kindness that you can carry out all year long, below are a dozen examples:
- Say “Good Morning.”
- Say “Good Night.”
- Say “Thank You.”
- Pay someone a compliment.
- Shovel someone’s snow.
- Clean the snow off someone’s car.
- Offer to pick up groceries for someone.
- Offer to babysit for a single parent.
- Put some coins in an expired parking meter.
- Let someone merge in front of you on the expressway.
- Hold the door open for someone.
- Let someone go ahead of you in the grocery store line.
Photo by Dr. Jose Velasco, “Solitude and Resilience”
Use this Mindfulness Activity to calm your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Picture yourself in a relaxed state. See yourself on your favorite walking path, a favorite vacation spot, sitting on a porch with a friend…
- Smile to yourself.
Recharge yourself and spread love when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am doing what I can. I am aware of myself and others, and I belong to a global community. I love myself and others because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness and compassion to all people. We are all connected. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP