Today, is Thursday, April 9, 2020. The blades of grass are getting greener and fuller.
While there is uncertainty and fear around us right now, there is also love and kindness around us, always.
During times of uncertainty, it helps to have some structured routines. We offer a daily anchoring message for those of you who may find it helpful for you, your coworkers, your loved ones, and/or your community.
Here’s what you can do today, right now, during transitions, after listening to the news or when going to sleep:
- Roll your shoulders back, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Explore Pursed Lip breathing to calm the nervous system
- Inhale through your nose
- Exhale with pursed lips, like blowing bubbles through a straw
- Practice this for a few low breaths
- Now add this phrase on the in and out breaths “I calm the body”
- After sets you can change the phrase “I calm the mind”
Anchor yourself with this daily statement:
“I am [*Name*]. I am doing what I can to be helpful. I love myself because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. I am part of the global community and we are all working together to get through this. This is temporary. We can do this. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness out to all people.”
Today’s Inspiration: The Serenity Prayer
“Grant me the SERENITY to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and WISDOM to know the difference”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP