Today is Friday, May 14, 2021. The grass is lush and the trees are filling in with leaves. Spring provides fresh perspectives.
During the month of May, we are focusing on routines. Routines can anchor us, decrease stress, foster creativity, prioritize self-care, and allow time to pursue our passions! This week we will look at before bed routines.
Once we get into the bed, we want to have a calming routine as well…
- Visualize peaceful scenes; think calming thoughts.
- Try progressive muscle relaxation starting from the top of your head and work your way down the body.
- Slowly tense one group of muscles while you inhale for the count of 5.
- Hold the tension for 5 seconds, then release with a slow exhale.
- Focus on relaxing that muscle group for 10 seconds.
- Move to the next muscle group and repeat working your way down the body.
Photo by: Sonika Agarwal
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am open to the positive energy around me. I appreciate myself and others as I connect with love and kindness. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
A quote by Elie Wiesel. “Don’t fight with the pillow, but lay down your head, and kick every worriment out of the bed.”
Use this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Wherever you are, pause, and notice everything that you are hearing: laughter, birds, cars, music….
- Take another deep breath and continue on.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP