Today is Wednesday, July 1, 2020. The new month begins. Since 1903, the famous bike race, the Tour de France, begins on July 1.
New! 31 Days to Experience the Joy of Movement.
Goal: Walking for a minimum of 15 minutes daily which may extend life expectancy by 3 years. If you have achieved this goal already, you may choose to increase duration or intensity over the next 31 days.
The objective is not to do the most difficult activity, it is to move consistently. Modify these activities as needed for your safety and your abilities*.
Week 1: Preparation.
Day 1. Make sure you are energizing your body with water throughout the day.
Inspiration: A Quote from William James.
“Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.”
Recharge yourself when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am resilient and growing every day during new challenges. I believe in the strength in me and the global community. I love myself because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness out to all people.”
This Week’s Mindfulness Practice to Create a Calming Moment:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Advance the healing power of deep breathing with Box Breathing (Sama Vritti Pranayama). This technique is used by the Navy Seals for focus.
- Breathe in through your nose for a count of 4. Try to feel the breath in your nose.
- Hold your breath for a count of 4.
- Exhale for a count of 4.
- Hold for a count of 4.
- You can change the duration of breathing, holding and exhaling to your comfort zone.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP
*Please confirm with your doctor which activities are appropriate for you.