Today is Thursday, July 30, 2020. Every time you take one step you use about 200 different muscles—Now that’s the Joy of Movement!
Inspiration: A Quote from Jack Kerouac
“There was nowhere to go but everywhere”
Optional 31 Days to Experiencing the Joy of Movement.
Goal: Walking for a minimum of 15 minutes daily which may extend life expectancy by 3 years. If you have achieved this goal already, you may consider increasing the duration or intensity as you progress.
The objective is not to do the most difficult activity, it is to move consistently. Modify these activities as needed for your safety and your abilities*.
After your walk today, look back on your walking journal and reflect. What’s changed? What’s the same? What will be your commitment to yourself for the next month? Write it down. “I am going to… [Include who, what, when, where, why].
Continue to record your progress in your journal. Submit a picture from your walk to the Daily Gift of Vitality blog and/or connect with your walking partner.
Recharge yourself when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am resilient and growing every day during new challenges. I believe in the strength in me and the global community. I love myself because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness out to all people.”
The Mindfulness Activity to practice this week to create Calm Moments:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Visualize your healing breath.
- As you breathe in and feel your lungs inflate, visualize that flow of oxygen reach all parts of your body & revitalize all of your cells.
- As you breathe out, feel your body settle.
- With each breath, feel how you are recharging your body.
- Remember, you were designed to heal.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP
*Please confirm with your doctor which activities are appropriate for you.