Today is Monday, May 23, 2022. Appreciating the cycles: spring blossoms spent, new greenery everywhere, sun brings new life.
A quote by John Steinbeck, “It is a common experience that a problem difficult at night is resolved in the morning after the committee of sleep has worked on it.”
Photo by Gabriel Cattaruzzi
Continuing a Magical May! This month, we explore things that can make us HAPPY. Being happy can enhance your life, boost the immune system, and help build connections with others. Feeling happy is much easier when protecting enough time for rest and sleep.
Practice the same ritual every time you want to signal to your body that it is time to rest. This might be:
- taking a soothing warm bath,
- writing in a journal,
- practicing progressive relaxation working from the head down to the toes,
- listening to a guided meditation or specific music or sounds,
- darkening or adjusting the lighting in the room,
- working through a relaxing yoga sequence.
With regular practice, you can train your mind to recognize it is time to rest and be better able to get into that state easily and allow restful sleep to follow.
Use this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind whenever you need a moment to reset – while waiting, before, after, or to transition between activities:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Breathe in fresh air, allow the energy to flow throughout the body.
- Exhale the unnecessary, feel the body reset.
- Repeat several more times and smile to yourself.
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I can do this. As I connect to my inner self, I am open to the Happiness and positive energy around me. I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP
One thought on “Monday, May 23”