Today is Friday, May 20, 2022. Can’t help but smile watching the ducklings pause in the grass, distracted by something, then run to catch up with their parents.
A quote by Aristotle, “Happiness depends on ourselves.”
Photo, Miniature Cactus Flowers, taken by Nicole Siparsky, MD
Continuing a Magical May! This month, we explore things that can make us HAPPY. Being happy can enhance your life, boost the immune system, and help build connections with others. Engaging familiar, pleasant scents can elicit happy feelings.
- Walk through a floral garden, along the beach, in the woods or across a fresh cut lawn.
- Cook a favorite dish.
- Grind coffee beans.
- Brew a fragrant tea.
- Infuse water with herbs.
- Add a favorite essential oil to your bath towels.
- Wear your favorite perfume or cologne.
- Boil orange peels and/or cinnamon.
Use this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind whenever you need a moment to reset – while waiting, before, after, or to transition between activities:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Gently stretch your neck muscles as you tilt your head to the right for a breath cycle, releasing the shoulders. Repeat on the other side.
- Continuing to breathe, gently stretch your neck muscles as you tilt your head up with a breath cycle and down with a breath cycle. Keep the shoulders relaxed and smile.
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I can do this. As I connect to my inner self, I am open to the Happiness and positive energy around me. I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP