Today is Wednesday, September 9, 2020. The aster, which represents love, wisdom, valor and faith, is one of September’s birth flowers.
Inspiration: A Quote from Crystal Middlemas, “Love like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets and obstacle.”
Photo by: Yoksel Zok
It is Self-Care September! This month, we offer prompts to energize your self-care routine. We invite you to experiment with any or all the suggested activities to invigorate, your mind, body and spirit.
Self-Care Activity: Refresh yourself with sensory immersion. Find a way to engage and truly experience multiple senses simultaneously: sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch.
Experience water in different lighting or setting – candlelit bath or shower, evening swim, early morning sprinkler exposure. Drink water with cucumber outside, wash vegetables by candlelight, soak your feet in warm water at dusk. Notice your sensory experience. How many senses can you engage? How do you feel? How many feelings do you feel?
Recharge yourself when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am resilient and learning every day. I am part of the global community. I love myself because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness out to all people. We are all connected. We can be resilient together.”
The Mindfulness Activity to practice this week to create Calm Moments:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Practice the Mountain Meditation to connect with your inner strength and stability.
- Envision a mountain, see the intricate details of the mountain.
- Bring the majesty of the mountain inside of you, and be one with the mountain.
- Feel the strength and stability of the mountain.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP