Today is Friday, September 4, 2020. The weekend approaches with an inspirational quote from Mahatma Gandhi: “The future depends on what you do today.”
Photo by Kyle Glenn
It is Self-Care September! This month, we offer prompts to energize your self-care routine. We invite you to experiment with any or all of the suggested activities to invigorate, your mind, body and spirit.
Self-Care Activity: Establish a restorative sleep routine. Each night is a new night, trust your body and mind to self-regulate and allow you to fall asleep.
- Set a sleep schedule that works for you most days of the week.
- Get exposure to natural lighting- like sunlight- every day.
- Experiment and see what happens when you turn off all electronics at least 2 hours before bed.
Recharge yourself and connect with others when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I belong and I am a part of the global community. I love myself because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness out to all people. We are all connected. We can be resilient together.”
The Mindfulness Activity to practice this week to create Calm Moments:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Experience an Affirmation meditation:
- Find a comfortable position in bed.
- Repeat your affirmation: [My body is calm, my mind is at ease, I breathe in goodness, I exhale peace, or choose your own affirmation.]
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP