Today is Wednesday, August 5, 2020. Dreaming of beautiful places and also acknowledging opportunities to appreciate the present.
After Friday, August 7th, the Daily Gifts of Vitality will only be released 3 times per week, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, to allow additional days to consider the prompts before advancing.
Inspiration: A Quote from Thich Nhat Hanh
“Mindfulness helps you go home to the present. And every time you go there and recognize a condition of happiness that you have, happiness comes.”
Photo by Vasile Tiplea
We invite you to experience the Joy of Reflective Journaling. This week includes deliberate practices to nurture our connections to the world around us. Consider writing down your reflections.
Reflective Journaling Prompt: Make a list of the little actions of others, that you are grateful for. Think of people you know well and people who you may not know well or that are even at a distance. Add a note next to each person on your list about why you are grateful to that person.
Recharge yourself when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am resilient and learning every day. I am a part of the global community. I love myself because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness out to all people.”
The Mindfulness Activity to practice this week to create Calm Moments:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Choose a centering word that is neutral to you and simple. You might choose “now” or “one” or “peace.”
- As you exhale, say your chosen word. Focus on the vibration of the word as you hear it. Repeat.
- As you exhale and say your word, imagine dropping a smooth pebble in clear water and watch it gently settle gently on the bottom, relaxed and comfortable.
- Finally, as you continue your deep belly breaths, notice the ripples on the water are gently gliding out. Repeat your word on every exhale until the ripples have settled.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP