Today is Friday, July 3, 2020. Watching the ripples on water alters the reflections.
Inspiration: A Quote from Stephen Grellet, (1773-1855), shared by Dr. Jose Velasco
“I expect to pass through the world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again.”
31 Days to Experience the Joy of Movement.
Goal: Walking for a minimum of 15 minutes daily which may extend life expectancy by 3 years. If you have achieved this goal already, you may choose to increase duration or intensity over the next 31 days.
The objective is not to do the most difficult activity, it is to move consistently. Modify these activities as needed for your safety and your abilities*.
Week 1: Preparation.
Day 3. Plan when you are going to walk.
Recharge yourself when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am resilient and growing every day during new challenges. I believe in the strength in me and the global community. I love myself because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness out to all people.”
A Mindfulness Practice to Create a Calming Moment:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Advance the healing power of deep breathing with Box Breathing (Sama Vritti Pranayama). This technique is used by the Navy Seals for focus.
- Breathe in through your nose for a count of 4. Try to feel the breath in your nose.
- Hold your breath for a count of 4.
- Exhale for a count of 4.
- Hold for a count of 4.
- You can change the duration of breathing, holding and exhaling to your comfort zone.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP
*Please confirm with your doctor which activities are appropriate for you.