Today is Friday, May 13, 2022. Wondering how can I be helpful today?
A quote by: Helen Keller. “The unselfish effort to bring cheer to others will be the beginning of a happier life for ourselves.”
Photo taken by: Fran Lee
Continuing a Magical May! This month, we explore things that can make us HAPPY, even for a brief moment. Being happy can enhance your life, boost the immune system, and help build connections with others. Volunteering offers us an opportunity to connect with others and it is naturally rewarding.
- Volunteer or donate to your favorite charity
- Contribute at a food shelter
- Help out at an animal shelter
- Do the grocery shopping for an elderly neighbor
- Cut your neighbor’s lawn
Use this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind whenever you need a moment to reset – while waiting, before, after, or to transition between activities:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Explore alternate nostril breathing, starting by exhaling completely.
- Alternating from one side to the other, close one nostril with your thumb to breathe in and then repeat with the other nostril to breathe out.
- Breathe in Left nostril, breathe out Right nostril. Breathe in Right nostril, breathe out Left nostril.
- Continue this sequence for several more cycles.
- Smile at completing this self-care activity.
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I can do this. As I connect to my inner self, I am open to the Happiness and positive energy around me. I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP