Today is Monday May 2, 2022. Feeling happy for the boundless gifts I can find outdoors.
A quote by Dalai Lama. “The purpose of our lives is to be happy.”
Photo taken by: Nicole Siparsky, MD, Glen Falls Nantahala National Forest
Let’s make this a Magical May! This month, we will explore things that can make us HAPPY, even for a brief moment. Being happy can enhance your life, boost the immune system, and help build connections with others. Research has shown getting outside simply makes you happier.😊
- Go for a hike in the forest
- Take a walk in your favorite park
- Walk through a neighborhood and appreciate the gardens
- Eat a meal outside
- Stand on the grass without your shoes
- Bird watch
- Scrunch your toes in the sand
Use this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind whenever you need a moment to reset – while waiting, before, after, or to transition between activities:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- As you continue to breathe, offer the loving kindness statements to yourself and/or others who are important to you: May I be safe, May I be HAPPY, May I be healthy, May I live with ease.
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I can do this. As I connect to my inner self, I am open to the Happiness and positive energy around me. I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP