Today is Monday, September 13, 2021. Walking, smiling, and laughing at the frolicking squirrels.
A quote from Snoopy. “Every time you find some humor in a difficult situation, you win.”
Photo by: Nathan Anderson
For many, September highlights the transitions of seasons and focus. Embracing transitions with curiosity opens the door to the possibility that we can find strength and joy from transitions.
Today, consider leveraging humor to optimize transitions. Sometimes, finding good natured humor in challenging situations allows the possibility to find new perspectives. Laughter is also known to improve the immune system and reduce cortisol, the stress hormone.
- Use self-enhancing humor in your journal. Self-enhancing humor is optimistic, you find humor in yourself and your current situation.
- Watch your favorite feel-good funny movie or TV show.
- Share funny animal videos.
- Find funny jokes.
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am open to the positive energy around me. As I connect to my courage, strength, and wisdom, I am open to new ideas and change. I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.
Use this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Start every morning with a joke
- Use that joke to anchor yourself during the day to stay connected to joy.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP