Today is Wednesday, May 19, 2021. Midweek brisk stroll through the neighborhood. Love passing the pond and seeing the ducks.
During the month of May, we are focusing on routines. Routines can anchor us, decrease stress, foster creativity, prioritize self-care, and allow time to pursue our passions! This week we look at routines to boost you during your active hours, when you are working or studying or practicing.
To thrive, it helps to have routines to hydrate throughout the day.
- At the start of the day, fill up a cup or water bottle and keep it within easy reach to simplify staying hydrated.
- After a bathroom break, hydrate your body by drinking water.
- When you need to refill your cup or water bottle, take the long way to walk a few extra steps or walk up or downstairs.
- Fill a pitcher of water with slices of fruit, vegetables and/or herbs for a refreshing recharge.
- If your activity tracker reminds you to stand up, enjoy a sip of water too.
Photo by Miguel Alcantara
Recharge yourself and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am open to the positive energy around me. I appreciate myself and others as I connect with love and kindness. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
A quote by Thomas Edison, “If we did all the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.”
Use this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Cross your arms across your chest, hands on opposite shoulders, giving yourself a big hug.
- While still holding your shoulders, bring your chin to your chest and let gravity pull down on your elbows and release the back of your shoulders into a gentle stretch.
- Release your arms, uncurl, roll your shoulders back, open your palms out. Bring your chin up and smile.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP