Today is Monday, October 12, 2020. The average elephant can hear sounds from 2.5 miles away, an extremely healthy elephant can hear sounds from 6 miles away.
For the month of October, together, we allow Mindful Monday.
This week we invite you to practice Mindfulness through Transformational Listening. After you have engaged in this type of listening, notice if were you able to recognize any difference in the flow of the conversation? How did the speaker respond to you? How did you feel?
- During a conversation engage in listening without an agenda.
- Give the Speaker your undivided attention- set aside thoughts about what you’re going to say while they are talking and just focus on the Speaker. Be present and listen fully.
An inspirational Quote from Dalai Lama “When you talk you are repeating what you know. But if you listen, you may learn something new.”
Photo by: Archie Fantom
Recharge yourself when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am resilient and learning every day. I am part of the global community. I love myself because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness out to all people. We are all connected. We can be resilient together.”
The Mindfulness Activity to practice this week to create Calm Moments:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Allow yourself to be curious, what sensations do you notice: is the air warm, are the shoulders relaxed? If your mind wanders away from your focus on breathing it is OK, simply note that and then return to your breaths.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP