Today is Wednesday, September 16, 2020. September is a month of transition; we often change the types of food we eat in September.
Inspiration: A Quote from Ruth Reichl
“Pull up a chair. Take a taste. Come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious.”
Photo by: Dave Hoefler
It is Self-Care September! This month, we offer prompts to energize your self-care routine. We invite you to experiment with any or all the suggested activities to invigorate, your mind, body and spirit.
Self-Care Activity: Let your taste buds have fun!
- Try a new recipe or new flavors using different spices, seasonings, or herbs.
- Eat a meal outside. If you are able observe nature simultaneously while eating, notice: What are the colors you see in the sky? Are there birds chirping? Are there leaves on the trees and are they changing colors?
- Add an additional colorful vegetable or herb to a dish to add nutrients and new visual appeal.
Recharge yourself when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I am resilient and learning every day. I am part of the global community. I love myself because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness out to all people. We are all connected. We can be resilient together.”
The Mindfulness Activity to practice this week to create Calm Moments:
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Practice Physical grounding
- When you are sitting in your chair take a few seconds to feel your feet on the ground, feel your bottom on the seat, feel your back against the chair.
- As your feet are grounded, with each deep belly breathe out, allow your shoulders to release and loosen.
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP