Today is Friday, October 28, 2022. Fun weekend ahead!
A quote by Julia Child, “This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook—try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless and above all have fun.”
Photo by Ratul Ghosh
October is the perfect time to engage your inner creative self. Be creative in the kitchen. Consider trying globally inspired spice combinations with your favorite proteins and veggies. Here’s 10 to get inspired:
- Moroccan & North African: Ras al hanout is a combo of cinnamon, coriander, cumin, ginger, turmeric. Consider also mint, cayenne, allspice, cardamom, cloves
- Indonesian: Cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, and coriander are common. Also, ginger, lime leaves, lemongrass, tamarind, nutmeg
- Caribbean: Allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, paprika, chilies, peppers, mustard seed, lime
- Mexican: Allspice, cinnamon, chili peppers, cumin, garlic, cilantro, tomatillos, oregano
- Indian: Cinnamon, cloves, coriander, cumin, tamarind, chilies, curry, ginger, mustard, fenugreek, saffron, turmeric
- Chinese: ginger, garlic, soy sauce, star anise, orange, sesame, peppers, chilies, cloves
- Japanese: ginger, garlic, soy sauce, dashi fish stock, horseradish, rice wine vinegar, sesame
- French: Chives, chervil, parsley, thyme, marjoram, mint, rosemary, fennel, basil, mustard
- Greek: Garlic, lemon, rosemary, oregano, cinnamon, olives
- Italian: Garlic, basil, rosemary, oregano, thyme, olives
Practice this Mindfulness Activity to Re-energize your Body and Mind whenever you need a moment to reset – while waiting, before, after, or to transition between activities.
Establishing a regular practice of pausing makes it easier to reset when you need it the most. You can start your practice at any time, even now.
- Straighten your spine. Roll your shoulders back and down, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Explore Humming Bee breathing:
- Close your eyes
- Gently cover your ears with your hands
- Begin to hum, notice the vibration
Recharge yourself, tap into your strength and share positive energy when you repeat:
“I am [*Name*]. I can do this. This is temporary. I have successfully handled difficult challenges in the past. As I connect to my inner self, I am open to the Happiness and positive energy around me. I send loving kindness and compassion to all people including me. Together, we can do great things.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP