Today, is Monday, March 23, 2020. It is quiet and snow covers the grass and trees in neighborhoods.
While there is uncertainty and fear around us right now, there is also love and kindness around us, always.
During times of uncertainty, it helps to have some structured routines. We’d like to offer a daily anchoring message for those of you who may find it helpful for you, your coworkers, your loved ones, and/or your community/patients.
Here’s what you can do today, right now:
- Roll your shoulders back, smile to yourself, & relax your jaw.
- Take slow deep belly breaths, allowing your stomach to rise with each breath in and relax with each breath out. You may find that each breath gets better and better. Allow your shoulders to relax on each exhale.
- Advance the healing power of deep breathing with Box Breathing (Sama Vritti Pranayama). This technique is used by the Navy Seals for focus.
- Breathe in through your nose for a count of 4. Try to feel the breath in your nose.
- Hold your breath for a count of 4.
- Exhale for a count of 4.
- Hold for a count of 4.
You can change the duration of breathing, holding and exhaling to your comfort zone.
Anchor yourself with this daily statement:
“I am [*Name*]. I am doing what I can to be helpful. I love myself because I have kindness and love in my heart and soul. I am part of the global community and we are all working together to get through this. This is temporary. We can do this. As I think about those I love and care for, I send loving kindness out to all people.”
Today’s Quote from Martin Luther King, Jr.
“If I cannot do GREAT things, I can do small things in a GREAT way.”
With gratitude and appreciation for all beings,
Naomi Parrella, MD & Fran Lee, FNP